Racism: Hungary Fans At It Again, This Time At Wembley During World Cup Qualifiers

The Football Association vowed to launch an investigation and file a report to FIFA after racism from Hungary fans marred yet another World Cup qualifier with England and they were also involved in violent clashes with police.

Hungary are facing more punishment from world football's governing body after one of their fans was arrested for a racially abusing a steward to spark the ugly scenes at Wembley.

The Metropolitan Police and FA's security team were already on high alert after Hungary supporters targeted England fans with monkey chants and missiles in September's Budapest meeting between the two countries.

There was an increased police presence outside Wembley while the FA's security plan also included additional measures to deal with more flashpoints, despite less than 1000 tickets being sold to Hungary fans.

And it did not take long for the expected trouble to arrive with tensions quickly boiling over at the start of last night Group I clash, which ended in a disappointing 1-1 draw for England.

Some in the away support gestured angrily towards England's fans and players when Gareth Southgate's men took the knee ahead of kick-off. They also held up anti-kneeling banner.

Then, just minutes in, more trouble broke out when police were required to back up overwhelmed stewards and enter the away section in an attempt to quell the outbreak of violence.

Blows were exchanged between the officers and a group of Hungary fans, which swelled in size as more joined in to force the police back.

While unarmed stewards were left helpless, a number from the group of around 20 officers were forced to wield their batons and fight back as they tried in vain to control the angry mob and hold their ground.

The police eventually had little choice other than to retreat back down one of the away section exits onto the concourse and were followed by some of the away fans.

Peace was eventually restored and, once the situation calmed down, rather than police, a considerable stewards later re-appeared to guard the exits and continue to monitor the away section. The second half appeared to pass of with no further unsavoury incidents.

The FA said: 'We are aware of an incident in the away section during tonight's FIFA 2022 World Cup qualifier at Wembley Stadium. We will be investigating and report the incident to FIFA.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement as cited by Sports Central: 'Shortly after the start of tonight's match at Wembley, officers entered the stand to arrest a spectator for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments made towards a steward. As the officers made the arrest, minor disorder broke out involving other spectators. Order was quickly restored and there have been no further incidents at this stage.

England scorer John Stones said: 'If they're showing those signs to what we believe in as a nation, I've nothing good to say about them as supporters, as human beings. To hear that after the game, it's upsetting and wrong.'

Defender Tyrone Mings said: 'Every time we speak about racist abuse the punishment that sfollows never seem to quite be in line with what has happened. I can't speak too freely unless I know the facts and I sincerely hope if that [a steward being racially abused] was the case then the punishment this time fits what's happened.'

Gareth Southgate added: 'Difficult for me to comment with any authority as I'm only just hearing the detail. Until I know a little bit more and exactly where we're at, better for me to focus on the football. We didn't perform at the level and other people are better placed to give you immediate reaction to what happened off the pitch.' 

Hungary manager Marco Rossi said: 'I don't want to comment on this situation as it's not my task and everything I say can be interpreted in a different way so I prefer not to comment.

Hungary's latest display of shameful behaviour along with their disregard for the authorities' previous attempts to punish them, which also included a flare being left off after their opener, is set to leave them in more hot water.

They were ordered to play last week's World Cup qualifier against Albania at the Puskas Arena behind closed doors and pay a £158,000 fine for their racist abuse aimed at England players and associated trouble.

As part of their punishment, a second game was suspended for a period of two years.

A section of their supporters targeted Raheem Sterling and Jude Bellingham with monkey chants.

In July, Hungary were also ordered to play their next three UEFA matches also behind closed doors after incidents of racism and homophobia at Euro 2020.

One of those games was also suspended for two years.