Fenerbahce Players Walked Off The Pitch One Minute Into Their Turkish Super Cup Final Against Galatasaray

Fenerbahce players staged a bizarre protest just one minute into their Turkish Super Cup final clash with Galatasaray. 

The two Turkish giants squared off on Sunday but the fixture lasted just 50 seconds. Fenerbahce appeared to stage a protest, fielding a team of under-19 players for the match before leaving the field.

That forced the game to be abandoned, handing the Yellow Canaries' bitter rivals the trophy in Sanliurfa. Galatasaray were then confirmed as champions and celebrated in front of their fans in the stadium.

Yet Fenerbahce still managed to concede even before walking off. Mauro Icardi latched onto a flick-on and finished clinically from an acute angle in the first minute.

In stunning scenes, Galatasaray continued playing even after claiming the trophy, facing their own reserve team.

The match was initially scheduled to take place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in December but was called off due to the hosts not approving of plans to honour Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the first president of Turkey.

As well as fan banners, players wanted to wear t-shirts with Ataturk's face on it, meaning the game was called off and rearranged for Sunday.

Yet according to GOAL Turkey, Fenerbahce had asked for the fixture to be postponed again due to their upcoming Europa Conference League quarter-final against Olympiacos on Thursday. They had also asked for foreign referees to officiate the final.

But their requests were reportedly refused, adding to the frustration they felt in the aftermath of the violent pitch invasion during last month's win at Tabzonspor. Travelling Fener fans had even been warned not to expect the match to be played out in full by the club's deputy president Erol Bilecik earlier in the week.

He said as cited by Sports Central: "We made all our preparations to go to Urfa with our under-19 team. Our fans are thinking about the score of the match. We are going to Urfa with an extremely good mind. You will not be at a point that will make you feel bad or put you in trouble. We do not need our fans to organise going to the match. "I say again, our fans should not make any travel plans. Of course, whoever wants to go to the match can go. We say fans should not go. We clearly state that our A team will not go to Urfa and that it will not be a 90-minute match. "Of course, the geographical areas and culinary culture of Urfa are attractive for our fans. We said these, thinking that they would not have the opportunity to watch a football match there."

Fenerbahce released a statement following the conclusion of the one-minute match. Posted on social media, it read: " Today, when we take to the field not to win but to defend the truth, what we want to emphasize in order to summarize our attitude is this. "Serving Turkish sports with its 117-year history not only in football but in every branch we compete in, has thousands of trophies in its museum bearing the traces of sweat and labor, Feeling the national values of his country with his 30 million fans As the World's Largest Sports Club, we will continue to stand tall today and tomorrow, as we did yesterday."