Vincenzo Spadafora, Italy's sports minister, says he is unaware that the Portuguese has been given the green light to return to the country.
Cristiano Ronaldo may have broken coronavirus protocol on his return to Turin after testing positive for Covid-19, said the Minister.
The five-time Ballon d'Or winner was forced into a period of isolation during his time at international duty.
He had made two appearances for his country against France and Spain, but was excluded from a third as Portugal beat Sweden 3-0 in the continued defense of their Nations League crown.
Instead of taking part in that match, Ronaldo has returned to Italy. The Juventus superstar arrived on Wednesday evening. His Serie A employers claimed he has been given the green light to break quarantine and travel by private jet.
Vincenzo Spadafora, Italy’s minister of sport, claims to be unaware of the green light being
The Bianconeri said in a statement as cited by Sports Central: “Cristiano Ronaldo returned to Italy with a medical flight authorized by the relevant health authorities at the request of the player and will continue his isolation at his home.
While Juve believe they and their striker acted appropriately, Spadafora has suggested otherwise.
He claims he was not aware of any agreements allowing Ronaldo to travel while he was supposed to be in self-isolation.
Quizzed by Rai Radio on whether rules had been breached, Spadafora said: “Without authorisation from the health authorities, I think he has violated the protocol.
Juventus believe they have obtained that clearance and are now waiting for Ronaldo to release a negative test as soon as possible.
Ronaldo will not be in the next home games against Crotone and Verona. He will also have to be absent in a Champions League group stage opener against Dynamo Kyiv as time is running out for his participation in a much-anticipated second game of the competition.
Juve face Barcelona on October 28, where Ronaldo could rekindle his long-standing rivalry with Lionel Messi. The 35-year-old is currently facing a waiting game.
The same goes for fans in Italy, where matches continue to take place behind closed doors.
Spadafora believes that despite the problems caused by the coronavirus pandemic, competitive measures will continue to be on the program and asked for patience from fans eager to return to the terraces.
Asked whether he expects the lockout to continue, he said: “For now, certainly yes. Some regions had proposed 25% of a possible audience but for now we cannot authorise it. At least until next month, we must see how it goes..